Tuesday, January 08, 2008

On being proactively romantic

Tonight I bought some roses for Dallass on the way home from work. While I was waiting in line one person asked me if I was going to get engaged tonight. I said "No, I just wanted to get my wife some nice looking flowers. At this point, the checker interjected with a knowing look "Ahh...someone must be in the dog house!"

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It seems that romance gotten to the point in our culture that it fits into 2 categories: the new stage (where everything is exciting and both parties are actively pursuing each other with gifts and other romantic gestures) or the reactive stage (where people use the tools of romantic convention to clean up some mess they have made).

I suggest that romance is much sweeter when done proactively. I told the checker tonight that I have found that you don't have to buy flowers to get out of the dog house when you've already bought flowers.

So, all you lovers: buy something nice, write a note, sing a song, or whatever brings your sweetie joy. And then maybe those annoying checker people will stop assuming that I'm only buying flowers to appease my angry wife.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preach it, bro. Do I have to be in trouble to buy flowers for my wife? Everyone else seems to think so.

Here's to a little proactive romance. Well, not with you. :awkward:

:-)

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home