Thursday, January 10, 2008

Best music of 2007

I know it's 2008 now, but here's my best-of list for last years releases.

1- Radiohead,
In Rainbows. Before this album I was a moderate fan of Radiohead's music. Thankfully, In Rainbows has opened my eyes to the artistic brilliance of Radiohead. This album is beautiful, inviting, familiar, and sonically gorgeous. Number one album of the year, hands down.

2- Iron and Wine, The Shepherd's Dog. I didn't even really like this the first time I heard it, but it grew on me rapidly after that. With lots of texture and groove, it's relaxing and edgy at the same time. Sam Beam has the rare ability to get better while improving production and expanding stylistically.

3- Arcade Fire, Neon Bible. My favorite album from the first half of the year. This album is full of confidence, which is something I love in a record. These guys are good and they know it, but it doesn't come off as arrogant. They just make good music. (Antichrist Television Blues) is like Springsteen set on fire. This record is as big and exhilarating as I wanted it to be.

4- Sigur Ros, Hvarf/Heim. Though this isn't a "new" album, these 3 new songs, 2 electric retoolings and 6 acoustic retellings are as good as anything they have done. As my friend Joel wrote, the song Í Gær "cracks open like a raging electrical storm" and it is indeed a wonderful moment. I will be listening to these songs for years to come.

5- Deerhoof, Friend Opportunity. Not something I would normally listen to, but I love this record. Full of quirky fun, speckled with poignant beauty and surrounded with chunky guitar riffs.

Also enjoyed: The White Stripes- Icky Thump, Of Montreal- Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?, Chris Schlarb- Twilight & Ghost Stories, The National- Boxer, Wilco- Sky Blue Sky.

You can also take a look at Metacritic's compilation of top 10 lists from all sorts of places.



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BJ Stockman said...

An excellent #1 brother.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By leaving Panda Bear off the list, you are thus required to return Person Pitch to me. I don't loan records out to haters.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home