Saturday, February 02, 2008

"Shake the world again" -Francis Schaeffer

The Bible reading plan that my wife and I are using this year has us currently in the Apostle Paul's majestic Epistle to the Romans. For supplemental reading today, I picked up Raymond Ortlund Jr.'s excellent book A Passion For God: Prayers and Meditations on the Book of Romans. Ortlund uses his own paraphrase for the whole book, writes down some very heartfelt and doctrinally sound prayers, and also includes loads of quotes that fit very well with the section he is highlighting.

Today I read his meditation on Romans 1:11-15 and it included an amazing poem written by Francis Schaeffer:

To eat, to breathe
to beget
Is this all there is
Chance configuration of atom against atom
    of god against god
I cannot believe it.
Come, Christian Triune God who lives,
Here am I
Shake the world again.

                                               Francis Schaeffer, 1960

The poem is originally from a 1960 issue of Christianity Today.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home