Thursday, February 23, 2006

Back in action


my back has been tweaked for about a week and a half and today i finally went to a chiropractor. this was my first visit ever to a chiropractor and overall i would say it was a good experience other than the fact that my back still hurts. apparently it takes a few visits before things get "settled".

before i went today a friend of mine (who actually recommended i go to this particular chiro whiz) warned me that sometimes when you get adjusted you can lose control of your bowels and have an accident, right there on the table. he said it nonchalantly and told me he would pray that this would not happen. this thought terrified me. to think that i could be on a table in a sterile office, have the guy crack a good one on my back and then...WHAMMO! frankly, it's distressing, and accordingly i stressed about this the entire afternoon.

when the appointed time came i filled out the papers and then answered questions about the pain in my back and shoulders. i then prostrated myself on the special table (which is kind of like a modified dentist chair) and the man (are chiropractors called 'dr.'?) proceeded to examine me. first he established that one of my legs was shorter than the other. this was not a problem he said, just a little adjustment and it would be back to normal. good news for me.

we then progressed through the examination and he kept telling me to relax. now, thinking back on the warning i had received earlier in the day, this was quite difficult. i was afraid that if i relaxed too much...well, let's just say he had to repeatedly tell me to relax.

when it was all over i felt a little better and i had no accidents. i am going back on saturday for another twist and shout session and this time i will indeed relax.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like going to the chiropractor, havnt been in years though. Your lucky. :)

11:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, this cracked me up. hahahahaha

I can imagine why that would be slightly distressing. Geesh.

I'm still giggling, you wrote that story very well.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home